Municipality Wietze: History and surroundings

The name "Wietze" developed from the name of the river along the banks of which the settlement was located. The development of the village can be traced back to the year 1220.
The development of Wietze was quite decisively characterised by salt and petroleum which was found in the region of the municipality. Just before petroleum was found in the USA in 1858, petroleum was produced for the first time in Wietze by Professor Hunäus. This was the beginning of the German petroleum history. Wietze is still associated with petroleum today. .

Since the region and administrative reform of the state Lower Saxony on January 1, 1973 the former independent villages of Hornbostel, Jeversen and Wieckenberg have belonged to the single municipality Wietze.

The municipality is in the very varied natural landscape of the southern Lüneburger Heide, the awesome marsh landscape of the Wietze march which is characterised by the rivers Aller and Wietze.

There are many offers for leisure time, among others in the sports and leisure time park, in the German Erdölmuseum/petroleum museum Wietze and in the Waldschmiedemuseum/forest smithy museum.

The glamour of the past from the times of the last Celle dukes is found in the 300-year-old baroque manor chapel in Wieckenberg.